If you are looking for best bed for paraplegic patient, than you have landed at the right place. If you are looking after a paraplegic person or any sort of patient suffering from paralysis or disability at home, than no doubt this is a daunting task and it needs a lot of courage. However having necessary equipment specially a good nursing can lessen your burden a bit.
My father in law who was almost 85 years old got paralyzed after a stroke and me and my wife looked after him for almost 8 years. During this period we learnt a couple of things which we would like to share in our up coming posts.But in this current post i will post on the best bed for such a patient. I have gone through thousands of reviews before posting these patient beds on my website.
What to look for in a Paraplegic Bed
No doubt selection of bed is of extreme importance as the patient has to spend most of his or her time on the bed and the care taker has to change his positions and make him sit or lift or lower his legs or head multiple time to increase his blood flow or to give him some drinks or some thing to eat.In this post I will be reviewing a bed which we purchased from Amazon and found it very helpful during the 8 years of our patient care at home. If some one else’s life becomes a bit easier because of our advice we will be glad and we will surely cherish this feeling. We purchased this bed after consulting other similar patients we met at the hospital and also we spent almost 5 days reading reviews of other people who purchased this bed. Prior to that i have published another post regarding selecting best pillow from Amazon for your patient.
- What to look for in a Paraplegic Bed
- Our Top Pics
- 1. Drive Medical Med Aire Low Air Loss Mattress Replacement System with Alternating Pressure
- 2. Paraplegic bed with separate wheel chair
- 3. Invacare Full Electric Quadriplegic Bed
- 4. Bariatric Hospital Bed by Drive Medical
- Amazon Choice Nursing Care Beds
Our Top Pics
1. Drive Medical Med Aire Low Air Loss Mattress Replacement System with Alternating Pressure
After carefully analyzing price structures and most appropriate features for a paraplegic patient, we have chosen Drive Medical bed as the best option for nursing a paraplegic patient at home or at hospital. As we all know that a paraplegic patient is highly endangered or in risk of skin damage or rupture due to continuous stay at bed. This maceration of skin can also be caused by the urine or other patient fluids. To avoid this situation this bed I have chosen has brilliant features of alternating pressure and equal distribution of pressure across all parts of the bed.
Some salient features of the bed are as following
- An elegant purple nylon cover which is highly elastic, durable, water and stain resistant.
- Another feature which is liked a lot by our review team is the low cost and the feature of alternating pressure. This alternating pressure not only stimulates the blood flow of the patient but plays a vital role in decreasing the chances that the patient can develop bed sores.
- The mattress has 20 air bladders, nine with laser holes to achieve the low air loss function and to increase patients comfort by keeping the affected area cool and dry ensuring a speedy recovery.
- The mattress ensures air flow and maintains its temperature. Important reason of this behavior is that the mattress cover is totally vapor permeable. This means that the patient will have very less sweating and skin rashes as well.
2. Paraplegic bed with separate wheel chair
This is the second paraplegic bed which comes with a detachable wheel chair. The drawback of this patient bed is that it is fairly expensive. Other than that according to feature comparison it is quiet suitable for a bed ridden patient.
3. Invacare Full Electric Quadriplegic Bed
If you are looking after an aged quadriplegic or paraplegic loved one at home than Invacare bed is another great option.
4. Bariatric Hospital Bed by Drive Medical
If you are looking for a hospital bed for a heavy person than this bed is an ideal choice for you as it can carry weight up-to 600 pounds very easily. It comes with features of full and half rail. Top of the bed frame is made up of metal slats. The only drawback is that it is little hard to assemble but Amazon may give you assistance in this as well.It is a full electric bed and the foot, head, and entire bed raises and lowers.
Amazon Choice Nursing Care Beds
In this section I will present those hospital beds that have got most positive reviews at Amazon.
- [Easy Setup] Amazingly simple to assemble out of box and room placement in less than 10 minutes, no expert assembly needed. Start enjoying lifestyle benefits of having an adjustable bed.
- [Wireless Control] Quiet wireless remote, without a ton of buttons to confuse you, allows you to effortlessly adjust the base to exactly your positional need or quickly return to flat with one-click button.
- [User-friendly Design] Customizable memory setting lets you store one preferred setting for quick recall. Enjoy watching some TV or reading before going to sleep and it is so nice not to need all the extra pillows.
- [Outstanding Comfort] Independent head incline: 0-60 degrees, foot incline 0-45 degrees. Position yourself for ultimate comfort and solid sleep through out the night. No more back pain, knee pain and wake up a new person.
- [Warm Tip] Mattress not included. You can contact our 24 hours online customer service through clicking "Sold by" on the product detail page or your Amazon order page and you will be directed to "Ask a question" to send us message.
- Durable panels with non-marring rubber casters are impact and scratch-resistant and are washable for easy cleaning
- Ergonomic hand pendant features heavy-duty strain-relief cord
- Easy clamp-on half-length rails with chrome-plated slide tubes for smooth rail height adjustment
- High quality 312 coil innerspring mattress features a durable vinyl cover to ensure firm and comfortable support for users
- Convenient access to emergency manual crank for peace of mind
- Bed frame can be used with Drive's and most other manufacturers' bed ends, old and new; New and improved hand pendant has large, easy-to-use controls
- The transition box allows you to change the rotation of the high/low shaft; Once installed, the high/low shaft will stay with the bed to eliminate loss or forgetting on future installations
- Motor is completely self-contained to reduce weight and noise (Can be installed and removed with patient in bed); In the event of a power failure, a 9V battery located in the motor can lower the head and foot sections 9 times;UL approved
- Channel frame construction provides superior strength and reduced weight (Weight Capacity 450 lbs); Wood grain panels are break and scratch resistant; Headboard is taller than footboard to better fit home décor
- Labels and color-coded springs assure accurate installation of side rails for patient safety; Bed, side rails, and mattress safety-tested by SGS, a nationally recognized testing facility; Satisfies all applicable FDA entrapment guidelines
- FULL BED PACKAGE: This fully electric motorized hospital bed includes everything you need, including the adjustable bed frame, a vinyl covered mattress, 2 locking and 2 unlocking casters (wheels), a large button remote controller and full safety rails.
- BED SPECS: Measuring 80 x 36 inches, it has a height range of 15" - 20". Lightweight, it weighs 42 lbs and has a weight capacity of 450 lbs. The deck is split spring. Both the head-spring and foot assembly are recessed to prevent pinching and injuries.
- FIRM FOAM FIBER MATTRESS: The medical mattress is made with high performance fiber and measures 84" x 36" with a 6" depth. The cover is an easy to clean vinyl in frost green. Inverted side seams makes the bed more comfortable for patients. The firm mattress has antimicrobial properties.
- FULL RAILS INCLUDED: These safety rails are spring loaded and can be installed without tools! They are adjustable in in length from 39.5 to 57.5 inches. An easy release button enables each rail to be independently lowered or raised simply. These universal rails are also compatible with Drive, Invacare, Medline and other split spring hospital beds.
- COMFORT, CONVENIENCE, QUALITY: Easily adjust the bed to the height and position you need. The bed frame is simple to assemble, cleans easily, and the parts are compatible with other hospital beds. Backed by a 2 year manufacturer's warranty.
- COMFORTABLE AND CONVENIENT POSITIONING - Be supported and comfortable while watching TV, reading, using your laptop or phone or having breakfast in bed
- REDUCED PAIN AND SWELLING - Enjoy customizable positioning that can reduce the discomfort of back pain, arthritis joint pain and leg swelling
- IMPROVED DIGESTION AND BREATHING - Independent head and foot incline features allow positioning that can promote unobstructed breathing and better digestion
- WHISPER-QUIET MOVEMENT - Heavy-duty steel frame construction with quiet movements for durable mattress support and undisturbed relaxation and rest while sleeping with a partner
- Delivered to your door and easily assembled in 10 minutes or less.
Last update on 2020-03-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
To conclude i will just say that i wrote the above few lines only to ease your efforts you are making to look after an old or paralyzed person. I also went through all this and i came to know that a good paraplegic bed will be a huge life savor. Happy shopping.